We cannot image that people can live without electrical devices. Therefore, interaction and interconnection between human and device are becoming more and more important with the lapse of time. The development of flexible electronics could be one reason because it is easy-to-read, lightweight, portable, flexible, and unbreakable. Given its attractive characteristics, nowadays, innovative flexible electronics is opening up next-generation technologies and leading the paradigm shift of the electronic applications; potential applications could include flexible human-health patches, epidermal sensors, artificial skin, and electronic papers. It could change a picture of our life, which does not exist today. As science/engineering advances, we might all have the opportunity to see our dreams become reality.
To ride the wave of the new industrial revolution, we will use a synergistic combination of 1) device friendly and 2) human friendly approaches as summarized in the below conceptual schematics.
– Flexible and wearable electronics and applications
– Device physics for semiconductor devices
– Site-selective laser processing
– Low-dimensional nano-materials
– Micro/Nanoscale thermal/heat analysis
– Polymer like hyperelastic non-linear behavior analysis for stretchable and flexible form factor
– Solution processed low-cost printing technologies and development
– 3D hierarchical mechanical meta-structure and system
Ultra-Shallow Surface Modification
- No structural damage or loss of 3D FinFET structure is seen after doping process.
- Shallowest junction depth (Xj) can be produced by laser process.
- Generated heat distribution after laser activation process is estimated through a thermal analysis.
Improvement of Electrical Interconnect and Contact
- Contact area goes down with scaling.
- As device scaling continues, parasitic source resistance largely dominated by contact resistance, is beginning to limit the device performance.
- We are developing Ohmic contact technology and improving metal interconnect for future electronics.
Development of Artificial Intelligence (AI) Based Exobrain System: Neural Network Devices
- Study on biological structure of neurons and synapses
- Understanding biological inspired architecture and system of neural network
- Development of hybrid neuromorphic systems
Intense Light Process with Nano-Materials
- Pulsed laser momentarily induces high temperature, imparting a smaller heat-affected zone.
- Laser processing can induce thermal effect at very locally confined small area that needs high temperature without incurring extreme thermal damage to surrounding regions.
- For nanoscale devices using nano-materials, the site-selective process enables achievement of superb electrical characteristics through annealing, doping, alloying, and welding.
Programmable Digital Oxidation
- With spatially controlled heating, arbitrary copper oxide semiconductor pattern can be monolithically written in copper film.
- During the direct oxide writing process, adjacent metal region can be utilized as a metal contact.
- Spatially controlled heating can be a facile manufacturing method to fabricate metal/semiconductor/metal (MSM) homo-junction structures.
- Horizontal band-gap tuned tandem structure can be realized by laser.
Robust Flexible/Wearable Platform
- Nature inspired sensor electrode design can achieve high-levels of deformability and stretchability.
- Finite element method (FEM) allows us to understand mechanical behaviors of the of nonlinear hyperelastic material and its structure.
- Through the real mechanical tests and analyses, we can fabricate robustly designed flexible/wearable platform.
Human Augmentation System
- The natural, artificial, or technological alteration of the human body enhances physical or mental capabilities.
- Bio-mimetic five sensory system is an important to the interface between human and machine.
- We need to understand and study on biological sensory mechanism and structure.
3D Embedded Channel System for Semiconductor Devices with High Heating Value
- Utilizing embedded cooling can eliminate most of thermal issues as it directly cools the
semiconductor device closest to the heat sources.
- Designed channel can create direct jet impingement of the flow.
- We are trying to cool down high heat flux devices through 3D embedded channels.